Acceptable Use Policy
Computer and Internet Usage Rules
Victoria Park Collegiate Institute provides computers as learning tools. As such, the computers are to be used only for school-related work. Students are expected to use computers in a responsible and ethical manner, consistent with the educational purposes for which they are provided. Responsible and ethical use of computers includes compliance with the following rules:
- Your username and password are not to be revealed to anyone.
- You are not to use anyone else’s username or password to log onto any computer.
- You may not play games, chat, or send instant messages.
- You are to use e-mail only for school-related work, and you may use only school-sanctioned e-mail accounts for sending and receiving e-mail.
- You are not to access or manipulate, in any way, material which is racist, sexist, pornographic, homophobic, hateful, or otherwise objectionable, or which portrays illegal acts.
- You are not to access or manipulate, in any way, programs or other software other than those provided by the school. Access and manipulation includes, but is not limited to, launching, downloading, uploading, and running from portable media such as discs and flash drives.
- You are not to damage or alter, in any way, a computer’s hardware. This includes, but is not limited to, changing keyboards and removing mouse balls.
- Without the permission of a teacher, you are not to alter, in any way, the settings of a computer’s software.
- You are not to broadcast messages over the school’s computer network.
- You are not to access or manipulate the data of other users in any way.
- You are not to breach the security of any computer system.
- You are not to connect to the network any computer which has not provided by the school.
Failure to follow any one of the above rules will result in the loss of computer privileges and/or suspension.
The police will be involved in certain cases of inappropriate use of the Internet.
- You must remember your password. If you forget your password, you will be charged $1 to have it reset the first time, $5 to have it reset the second time, and $10 to have it reset the third time. The school reserves the right not to reset passwords more than three times.
- You must log off your account when you have finished your session.
[This page last updated 2020-12-23 at 12h45 Toronto local time.]
© 2007–2022 Hersch, Bear & Company Limited. All rights reserved. “Grammar Authority,” “grammarauthority.com,” “touque.ca,” and “Canada’s Thinking Cap” are trademarks of Hersch, Bear & Company Limited. All other trademarks and copyrights are the property of their respective owners.